Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A One-Stroke Painting Challenge


"Tea, Anyone?"
8 x 10 oil on stretched canvas

A few days ago, I began working on a one-stroke painting challenge. This was my first attempt at this kind of exercise. It was very interesting and fun challenge. The idea is to mix one color. Put down one stroke on your canvas/board. If it’s wrong, mix a new color and put a new stroke directly over the first. Mix a new color (feel free to adjust the first color, on your palette, to get the second, but make sure to start a new pile when needed). Put down one stroke. Mix a new color. Put down one stroke. You get the idea. Trying to get myself to do only one stroke was not an easy thing for me. I did surprise myself and am pleased with the results, even though I made several mistakes, given the limited time I had available to work on it that day.
Thanks to DPW for offering the opportunity to participate in this challenge. However, since my browser won't cooperate, it seems I cannot upload it on the DPW site, so I am just posting it here. I will be trying to use this technique more.
Thanks for visiting!

4 comments:

  1. I really like this one - I collect teapots and this looks like one I have. It does sound like a challenge to just use one stroke of a color - but you did a fine job of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you mastered this exercise, Sunny! Sometimes these little things are fresher and more real - just like plein air painting - do that when you paint outside - the correct color, the correct value, put it down and leave it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jo, I now remember that you and I have one alike. I love my teapot! Daughter made me a cozy for it. I should paint it with the cozy on, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Vickie. I dont feel I was able to go far enough with this as I got started late painting and hubby was due home for supper, and you know our guys need to be fed and on time, lol!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your kind comments!